► Sewer Service Diagrams
► Septic Tanks and Treatment Systems
 Septic Systems

Sewer Service Diagrams

Applying for a Sewer Service Diagram (SSD)

Upon application, Council may be able to provide a  Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) identifying the location of council's sewer mains and private wastewater service pipes on a property.  These diagrams have been compiled on the best available information, but can only be taken as a guide. Exact location should be physically determined on site. 

To make an application for this diagram refer to Plannning & Environment's  'Applications & Forms' section of the website and complete the Application for Property Information Certificate and submit to Council with the relevant fee.

Completing a Sewer Service Diagram (SSD)

Where new or upgrading plumbing and drainage work is carried out, approval is required and it is critical that it is inspected by Cobar Shire Council.  Plumbers must book an inspection and submit an updated or new SSD layout to Council for any completed drainage work.

All Sewer Service Diagrams (SSD) need to be submitted meeting the following specifications:

  • A4 and A3 SSD Templates are available below or be downloaded on the Department of Fair Trading’s website: www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au
  • All drawn and required text information on the diagram must be complete and legible in a fine point black pen
    SSD must be drawn to a scale with critical dimensions identified.
  • North point must be shown on the diagram.
  • Include only symbols and abbreviations as shown on the template legend.
  • All lettering and figures are to be drawn clear and legible.
  • Diagrams are only to show sanitary drainage up the point of connection within the property boundary, property boundaries and building outlines.
  • Clearly show the sanitary drainage layout up to the point of connection within the property boundary indicating all internal points, external drainage, trade waste and any grey water treatment/diversion system up to the point of connection with the Network Utility Operator’s sewer including any existing sanitary drainage remaining in use on the property.
  • Suburb, street name and number (for street frontage) and/or Lot number and DP (deposited plan) number must be clearly labelled on the SSD.
  • If there is no connection to a Network Utility Operator’s sewer please label as private sewer, community title, onsite septic tank or AWTS etc.

For further definition of the Point of Connection refer to the Point of Connection web notes on the Department of Fair Trading’s website.

Licensee details must also be provided on SSD including:

  • Licence number
  • Certificate of compliance number
  • Signature and date

Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) Templates 

Below are templates in PDF format that you may use to design your SSD, alternatively a larger range of templates can be downloaded from the Department of Fair Trading’s website.

pdf_logo Sewer Service Diagram - A4 PORTRAIT Template 110 KB
pdf_logo Sewer Service Diagram - A4 LANDSCAPE Template 107 KB

Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) Examples

pdf_logo Diagram A – Example of an as Completed Diagram 57 KB

pdf_logo Diagram B – Example of Joint Service 59 KB
pdf_logo Diagram C – Example of Private Sewer/Community Title 60 KB
pdf_logo Diagram D – Example of Assumed Drainage 56 KB
pdf_logo Diagram E – Example of a Locality Plan and Inset 165 KB

Frequently Asked Questions

Are diagrams only required for drainage or for sanitary plumbing work as well?
All sewer drainage (including aerial drainage on the floor at the connection level) must be shown on the diagram including the point of connection to the NUO sewer. However, you do not need to draw or include any sanitary plumbing.

Do I need to put any measurements on the diagram?
Yes. Critical dimensions must be noted on the diagram.

Do I need to show private encroaching services?
Yes. If an encroaching private service, joint service or community title sewer is known or indicated on an existing diagram please label as a ‘Private service’, ‘Joint service’ or a ‘Community title sewer’. An encroaching service is any private sewer pipe that is extending across the property boundary from another property. Refer to Diagram B and Diagram C.

Do I need to show where an existing private sewer service is disconnected from a Network Utility Operator sewer junction?
Yes. Where a private sewer is disconnected and the junction sealed within the property boundaries the SSD should be amended with an ‘X‘ at the point of disconnection and noted with ‘junction sealed’. For properties that are demolished (vacant land) only the Lot boundaries and frontage need to be shown with the point of disconnection marked (X).

Does private infrastructure drainage, for example, Greywater Treatment System need to be included?
Yes. All household drainage as well as the Onsite treatment device (greywater or blackwater) needs to be shown. Refer to example Diagram A.

What if I need to draw a diagram larger than A3 size?
Diagrams larger than A3 size will be accepted as soft copies only. The SSD documents need to be provided using the symbols and abbreviations shown on the legend template. Plumbing details should be clearly hand written or typed. A legend template should be inserted to the diagram you are submitting. If you are using an ‘as built’ diagram, show only the sewer drainage and building outline for readability.

For additions to existing properties do I only add the section of new work I am installing, or do I have to redraw all the existing work and buildings?
You can obtain the existing diagram (if available) and amend by adding only the work you are doing. However you must remove any unnecessary information as per new SSD requirements. An acceptable method to draw new work for an existing SSD, large property or complex installation is to use a locality plan with an appropriately labelled inset and exploded view. Refer to example Diagram E.

What if I can’t obtain an SSD?
Where an SSD of an existing property is not available the licensee conducting new work must investigate the existing work to ensure connection and operation and show the assumed drainage on his SSD as a dashed line (see legend) when submitting the SSD. Refer to example Diagram D.

Am I responsible for the work shown on the diagram?
Yes. Only for the work you have carried out and nominated in your Notice of Work (NoW) and Certificate of Compliance (CoC).

I am doing a job where drainage is being done in stages. Do I have to provide a SSD for each stage of drainage?
Yes. For each part of drainage booked for inspection a part sketch must be supplied to show work installed. The sketch does not need to be to scale but must be neat and clear enough to read. The final SSD supplied for the completed drainage (final drainage inspection) must show all drainage and comply with requirements.

Will a non-compliance be issued if I don’t submit a Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) or Certificate of Compliance (CoC) for the job?
Yes. A non-compliance notice will be issued if a compliant SSD and CoC are not submitted toCouncil. If an inspection takes place, this paperwork must be given to the Council Officer. If there is no inspection, then you must post or email the SSD and CoC to Cobar Shire Council within 7 business days of completing the job.

What happens if the non-compliance isn’t rectified?
If the non-compliance is not rectified within the prescribed time, a reminder notice will be reissued to the plumber and advice sent to the customer/owner. If the non-compliance is not fixed within the nominated time, then Fair Trading may take further action.

Is there a re-inspection fee for non-compliance?
Re-inspection fees are required for work related defects that must be re-inspected. For administrative defects such as non-complying paperwork a re-inspection fee is not applied. However you must still rectify the administrative defect within the nominated timeframe.

Can I engage a suitably qualified business to draw my diagrams?
Yes. However, you are still responsible for the accuracy of the content of the diagram and must ensure the licensee detail section is filled out and signed by you.

How do I supply the SSD?
The SSD must be given to the Counicl Officer if an inspection takes place. If an inspection does not take place, then the SSD must be sent to Cobar Shire Council within 7 business days of the work being completed.

The preferred method of sending a SSD is via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (faxed copies are not acceptable due to poor quality) OR Mail to:

Cobar Shire Council
Planning & Environmental Services Department
PO Box 223

Who can I contact for further information about SSDs?
For more information on SSDs you can contact Council’s Planning & Environmental Staff

Septic Tanks and Treatment Systems

Onsite Sewage Management Systems

If your home is not connected to a reticulated sewer, you are likely to have some type of Onsite Sewage Management System (OSMS). Onsite sewage management is often referred to as decentralised sewage management. An OSMS is any system that stores or treats sewage.

The following provides essential information to residents regarding onsite sewage management:

  • Onsite sewage management monitoring program
  • Registering your onsite sewage management system/approval to operate
  • Maintaining your septic system
  • Easy Septic Guide
  • Installing an onsite sewage management system
  • Types of onsite sewage management systems
  • Useful links and references.

Monitoring Program

On-site sewage management systems are regulated by Council in accordance with relevant legislation.

Registering Your System

All systems must be registerd with Council. Council approval is required for the installation, alteration and operation of a system. Subsequent owners must obtain an Appproval to Operate. 

Existing Sytems

If you have an existing system that is not currently registered with Council, you must submit an application for Approval to Operate an OSMS. By lodging the application you will be granted interim approval until such time as Council has carried out an inspection of the system. Following inspection, providing the system complies with Council's requirements, the system will be allocated a risk category and inspection frequency. If the system is not satisfactory, Council will advise what needs to be done to gain approval to operate.

New Sytems

If you are installing a new system, an Application for Section 68 must be lodged with Council. An application for Approval to Operate must also be sumbitted to Council prior to commissioning the system. The installation must be inspected by Council before you move into your home. Upon a satisfactory inspection, Council will then issue you with an Approval. 

New Owner

If you have recently purchased a property with an OSMS, you will need to submit an applicaiton for Approval to Operate an OSMS within two (2) months of the transer of title. It is essential that new owners are educated in the management of their on-site system. Council is not immediately informed of property transfers from NSW Land & Property, therefore it is recommeded that you sumbit an application to Council as soon as possible after your purchase.

Septic Systems

The Easy Septic Guide is a booklet developed by the Office of Local Government that provides information on your responsibilities, how to check your system, easy maintenance tips, types of systems and what can be planted in disposal areas.

pdf_logo Easy Septic Guide 987 KB

Installing a Septic System

An approval to install an OSMS is issued by Council under the Local Government Act and must be obtained prior to carrying out any work. The system must be installed by a licenced plumber registered for work in NSW.

Refer to Plannning & Environment's  'Applications & Forms' section of the website to download an Application for Section 68 for approval relating to an onsite sewer management system.

Types of Septic Systems

There are many different systems available, including:

  • Septic tank and absorption trenches
  • Septic tank and evapotranspiraton areas
  • Septic tank and aerobic sand filters
  • Aerated wastewater treatment systems (AWTS)
  • Septic tank to pumpout
  • Dry composting toilets and greywater treatment systems
  • Wet composting toilets and subsurface application systems
  • Septic tank and constructed wetlands
  • Septic tank and soil mound systems
  • Pit toilets
  • Pump to sewer systems
  • Greywater treatment systems
  • Any other system that stores, treats and/or disposes of sewage and wastewater onsite. 

When choosing a septic system the most important thing to consider is how it will be used and who will use it. Each user and site may have different factors which will determine the type of system most suitable.

Under the provisions of Clause 40 and 41, Local Government (General) Regulation 2005 a local council must not approve the installation of a sewage management facility unless it has been accredited by NSW Health. For further information on accredited systems and a full list of those available, visit NSW Health

Useful Links and References